It’s 2000 and WHAT?!?

Two thousand eleven! Amazing. It occurred to me that this was not only the start of a new year but of a new decade as well. The first ten years of the new millennium is history. Somehow, I’m just having a bit of difficulty wrapping my brain around that.

It seems like last week we were worrying about the impending and dreaded Y2K disaster that threatened to wipe out all life in the galaxy. Boy did that turn out to be a false alarm. It was like a Monty Python skit. Long drum roll and then … NOTHING HAPPENED!

I don’t know if there is any significance to the fact that it is 2011 other than that it is one year closer to 2012 which, according to the teachings of several major religions and several extinct cultures, is the year the world as we know it is supposed to end. I’m staying in the “I hope not” camp on that one.

But if nothing else, it does provide an occasion to say “Happy New Year” to everyone and to wish all the best. And remember, don’t get trapped into making New Year’s resolutions. You know the old adage about not making promises you can’t keep.

COMMENTS

1. Gene Kely wrote:

There is a lot that can be said about putting trust into the world ending predictions of cultures that have already seen the end of their world long before their predictions were to come due. I predict that I will die…..someday.

And weren’t we supposed to be pulling up to the job site in our hover trucks by now? I have a standing order for mine, haven’t seen it yet.

2. Lonnie C. Major wrote:

Too many people put a lot of effort into the doomsayer’s agenda. I say what will be is going to be whether we wish it or not. Instead of worrying about what might happen, I just keep doing what I do. I have no real control over the future, aside from my own immediate effects, which mostly pertain to me. I’m going to enjoy myself doing what I love to do and not worry about when that might end.

3. Lea wrote:

David, I’m disappointed that you also seem to have bought into the idea that the “impending Y2K disaster” was a hoax. Trust me – it was not. Starting in late 1997, I, along with tens of thousands of other computer programmers and analysts around the country and around the world, WORKED OUR BUTTS OFF to make sure our systems and programs would work on January 1, 2000. That massive, costly, but ultimately SUCCESSFUL effort, is what made Y2K a non-event in the eyes of the uninitiated.

Unlike the AGW scares and similar poorly defined and questionably documented “crises”, Y2K was a KNOWN issue. Example: the computer which I supported in 1997 was programmatically not capable of recognizing 1/1/2000 as a valid date. The core operating system allowed for only six digits in its date fields. Its OS, along with all of the programs running on the machine, explicitly defined 12/31/99 (note, only SIX digits!) as the maximum possible date for any date comparisons.

It was not economically feasible to upgrade this older machine, and so the company invested in new computers, new operating systems, and rewriting ALL of the software that this machine supported. The project took over two years, but we converted and went “live” in early December, 1999. So, for us, and our hundreds of thousands of customers, Y2K was a “non-event” only because we made it so.

It was, at its base, a narrow and explicitly defined problem, with explicitly defined solutions. It was most definitively NOT a hoax.

4. Keith wrote:

I agree with Lea. I was there, too. As a software vendor, at the company I worked for we not only had to make sure our stuff worked correctly, but also to be around to support our clients having problems.

Though we distributed products world-wide, we did not get a single Y2K support call. It was not dumb luck or an accident.

5. A.J. Hamler wrote:

Not to start an argument here Lea and Keith, but David never called it a hoax. Like many who have been into computers long before it was fashionable — my first had 8K of RAM — I have a great respect for the incredibly hard work you folks did to prevent a Y2K meltdown. I suspect David’s comment was more directed at the media, whose desire to hype anything dire and dreadful, almost single-handedly created the “Oh-my-gosh-we’re-all-gonna-die” scenario surrounding the date change in 2000.

It certainly wasn’t a hoax, of which David is surely aware, but I share his sentiment that the media-engendered public uproar was much ado about, ultimately, nothing. (Thanks to you guys, of course.)

6. Douglas wrote:

Well, the Holy Scriptures say that “no one knows the hour or the day; not even the Son of Man.” So I don’t listen to predictions cause I figure if there is a prediction God Jehovah is not going to let it happen then so that those people won’t be glorified for their wisdom but that God Himself will be glorified. So…I will just continue figuring out how to do the best in my shop as I can and leave those other matters concerning the world’s end in Jehovah’s hands<):o}