The new barter system

Bartering has been around a lot longer than money. I’ve talked about it before and I remain a fan of this system because it works.

With the economy being what it is and the road to recovery appearing somewhat longer than we had all hoped for, alternative methods seem more and more attractive.

It’ surprising what you can barter for. When my truck got wrecked, I traded a body shop owner a set of office cabinets to put it back on the road. And he even bought the materials! I once traded a coffee table for a new set of tires. At the 250,000-mile point my truck engine gave out and I traded cabinet work for a new engine with the mechanic.

It might not be possible to trade for everything you need. The local supermarket might not be interested. I’d be amazed to hear of a bank trading for mortgage payments. But trading for all or part of a particular need can work in many situations. It’s a card that can be played in many ways. But it needs to be tossed on the table. You might be surprised at how willing people are to trade goods and services.

COMMENTS

1. Nancy Kroes wrote:

I just obtained a multi-thousand dollar couch, barely used, in exchange for turning 3-5 vintage wooden bed headboard/footboards into benches. Easy and fun and I got a beautiful new couch!

2. Larry Wangerin wrote:

Be careful, at least bartering organizations are of interest to the IRS. The value of the bartered service may be treated as income.

3. Richard Heines, Jr. wrote:

I used to barter farm produce to the family Dr.and the local fish market.

4. John wrote:

Through the years I’ve traded a set of waiting room tables for Chiropractic care, modified a optometrist station for prescription sunglasses and construction work of hanging doors and trim for dump truck service, backhoe work to dig a foundation and help with electrical work when I built my own home. You’re right on that bartering is a great way to do business!

5. Edward Smith wrote:

Black market economic activity is always appealing. You could also write a few paragraphs about the benefits of working for cash only. There are not taxes to pay and none of those nasty regulations to follow.
    I admit that I am certainly not without sin, but I have never deluded myself into thinking that my actions were without consequences for society in general.
    Even if you feel society has let us working people down, as I do, it is better to confront the issue head on and face reality rather than sugarcoat it as some kind of good old American value.

6. Jeff Hunt wrote:

Yes, a good thing. It’s worked for me a few times. The best one was cabinet work for guitar lessons.