Not being heard

My comments about flesh sensing technology seem to have stirred the pot.

Of course, it comes as no surprise and I always like to see a lot of comments. It shows that people are engaging. But I would like to clarify a couple of points. I think I was pretty clear in stating that I was not in favor of mandating such devices, simply accepting of the inevitability.

My comparison to auto insurance might not have been the best illustration of the point I was trying to make, which is that it is not good for the government to obligate us to buy anything that is sold for profit by a privately owned interest. This includes insurance and flesh detecting technology.

One of the biggest problems we face is how to depolarize our positions. There seems to be very little middle ground anymore and that is not conducive to constructive problem solving. I tend to lean toward what many like to call a liberal point of view. But I am not a liberal. Nor am I a conservative, socialist or fascist. I am perfectly willing to yield to the will of the majority which is, after all, the way a democracy is supposed to work. The problem as I see it is that the will of the majority is not being implemented.

I don’t know how many people like me there are but I do know that if people like me and people like you were being heard, we would not have nearly so many problems. While we conduct heated rhetorical arguments about irrelevant issues our system of government is being slipped out from under us by people who are neither liberal nor conservative but simply greedy and power hungry. It’s time to see the light.

COMMENTS

1. Mel Turcanik wrote:

Your last line contains the most accurate and clearly stated summation of the entire political situation I have seen in the last 12 years.

Please keep repeating it!!!

2. Gene Kelly wrote:

The last two paragraphs of this entry could have come right out of the instruction manual for “How To Be Me”.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

3. Lonnie Weyant wrote:

The real problem is defining the majority. So few people vote that a true majority is not possible to know. Until all people vote, democracy will be defined by those few that do. I am tired of having the majorities’ views defined by poll takers who can create the results they want by the small sample they take.

By the way, your example of auto insurance was spot on, it was dragging in Health insurance that was wrong.

Nothing will change until a third strong independant party is formed and elects people you are concerned about the people and not party politics.

4. Ralph Bagnall wrote:

It would be interesting to find out how many folks who commented one way or the other on the “flesh sensing technology” issue actually took the time to comment on the CPSC website during the comment period. The initial comment period was several months, and it was then extended to almost a year if I recall.

I posted several messages through my website and newsletter and also on the several I manage for other woodworking companies telling folks about the open comment period and imploring them to have their say. I encouraged folks to be heard regardless of their opinion. I wonder how many actually did?

Like voting, if you don’t do it you have no right to cry about the results.

5. Tom Haslett wrote:

Thank you for finally saying something worth listening to. Your last paragraph finally makers sense.
    Keep it up. I read all your blogs.
    Tom Haslett

6. Allen Maddy wrote:

David,
    I happen to agree 100% with your commentary regarding the flesh sensing technology. However, as I suspect with most issues, it’s the extreme opionions on both sides are the majority of those that respond. Hard to say how many of us are realist and see both sides of the argument.

7. Dave Hazelton wrote:

Very well said, David, and thank you!

8. Dennis wrote:

You are correct in that your correlation with auto insurance is not good example. Mandatory auto insurance is to cover your liability to others if you damage them on a public road. It has no coverage for the driver. Mandatory safety features effect the user(driver)while on his own property.
    As for polarization, it’s what keeps government from making laws hand over fist that benefit some people at the expense of others. Laws should be the last line of defense, they almost always take away someones legitimate rights in an attempt to stop others from doing bad things, which often doesn’t work.
    I don’t believe freedom is an irrelevant issue. A thousand times a day a politician somewhere thinks he knows better how I should lead my life. I don’t!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Term limits would be a good place to start as to the point of the greedy and power hungry statement.
    Dennis

9. Jack Leist wrote:

I have worked in a woodshop for 50 years and still have all of my fingers. That being said I teach woodworking in my shop and have for about 20 years with no major injuries. I, after the insane jury ruling, award and in fear that I could lose everything bought the high tech Sawstop. If it wasn’t for the fear of being sued I would be happy with my old Unisaw which by the way I still have in the shop but the students aren’t allowed to use. This is what our lawyers have done for us

10. Ed Thiessen wrote:

It isn’t that they should require us to buy into the flesh eating technology… but that we should be required to accept our own responsibilities and act accordingly. Read the manuals and pay attention to what we are doing!

11. Howard Van Valzah wrote:

There is an old,old remark that says “Money Talks”. Perhaps we all who don’t have a lot of money might like to change that but it won’t change. Democracy, if it hopes to stay alive, will have to find a way to minimize or eliminate money as a factor in elections. So far, no one has figured out a way to accomplish that. I suspect it is hopeless.

12. Donald Estes wrote:

What Office are you running for? You have my vote. It is absolutely amazing to me that a lawyer knows best how to do my woodworking job and what equipment I should be using when he has probably never done ANY woodworking. I’ve done woodworking for 40 years and still have all fingers and toes. The only way to break this cycle of government mandates is to revolt. JUST REFUSE to buy the government mandated table saw, just like the Colonists refused the TEA.

13. PutnamEco wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me at the shortsightedness of our populace and our unwillingness to change. This is like the whole seat belt laws thing all over again.When the majority of the population does not do what it can to protect itself maybe it is time to put some laws in place.

Imagine if the auto insurance companies would not cover people who choose not to wear seat belts. Now, what would happen if they were in an accident and they were either left at the scene or when they ended up at the hospital they were forced to pay upfront before being treated. Now imagine those who couldn’t pay being wheeled out to the curb to suffer their fate.

Don’t we as as society have any responsibilities towards our citizens?

14. BillyJ wrote:

David – thank you for writing this blog. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to take care of their own body. Recently I was engaged in a discussion about how to safely cut a series of blocks. After saying I would use a jig, someone else proclaimed they would just feed them in by hand and hope for the best.

Should I approach my Representative and demand a law be passed that will outlaw such action? Is my responsibility to society such that we should outlaw recklessness? If you think we incarcerate too many people now, wait to see how many will be in jail if we outlaw stupidity.