Music anyone?

I have always loved music, especially loud rock and roll. Some stuff, you just have to crank up. But in the shop? That has not worked out real well.

I used to let my employees have free reign over the stereo. I figured that they had a tough job and the music made it just a little more pleasant. After a while, I noticed that there was a lot of time being on changing the station or turning the volume up or down. It became an endless parade.

I also noticed the radio ended up playing metal loud enough to blow up the speakers. The guys that preferred that kind of music turned out to be the most tenacious.

It got so out of hand that I finally removed the radio. Then guys started showing up with personal stereos and headphones. Now each guy could listen to whatever they wanted, as loud as they wanted, without triggering a war over the music. Not bad, I thought. Then I realized that this was not exactly safe because the guys could not hear anything outside of their own little bubble.

So, in the end, I had to prohibit those too. I’m sure everyone wrote it off to my being an “old curmudgeon.” But really, I just wanted my employees to focus on the work and be safe.

COMMENTS

1. Rich Flynn wrote:

Think of your youth. Your music was painful to your parents, teachers, neighbors, etc. There’s nothing wrong with your music it just ain’t my preference. There in lies the dilemma.

2. Joe Hornor wrote:

Hate to sound old fashioned, but the generation that has to have an Ipod crammed in their ear are the same ones that have to have their cell phone in their hand all day.
    We don’t allow cell phones or Ipods (described in our policy as personal communications devices) in the shop. the only exception is during their lunch break.
    I mean really – can’t you do without it for four hours at a time?
    I do miss the loud music of my choosing though.

3. Robert J Brennan wrote:

I’m sure everyone wrote it off to my being an “old curmudgeon.”
    I don’t think that is exactly what they called you, LOL!!

4. Vern Tator wrote:

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and wore it out. I ran into that on a few jobsites. I couldn’t work with the loudness of music. Had to go back when I could hear my tools. The sound my tools make tells me a lot about how they are working, I need to hear them.

5. Bruce wrote:

Make a one earbud in only then everyone wins.

6. Gary Schmidt wrote:

David, We had a similar situation years ago . Management made everyone take the radios home. Frankly, although I enjoyed music, I was working at a bench between a country fan and a rocker and the volume escalated until I was GLAD to have radios banned! Gary

7. Charles Peek wrote:

My last job was about 12 or 13 years ago. I told my crew that they would learn to love classic rock by the end of the summer. They may have stressed, but noone quit over the music issue.

8. Peter specht wrote:

Music always seemed to get me to zero in on my work. I think it helped me from having my mind wander around. Besides, being the boss, I picked the station.