Nothing lasts forever

To paraphrase a common saying about royalty – My favorite drill is dead. Long live my favorite drill.

You’re probably familiar with the classic Makita 6095D, the drill/driver that came with the 9.6-volt “stick” battery. Mine is the 6093D, a precursor to the 6095. The date in the user manual is 1986, and my father-in-law gave it to me new, so I’ve used this drill for two and half decades. It was the first drill I’d ever seen with a keyless chuck.

Even though it’s always been my favorite of the (at least) seven or eight I own, I haven’t really used it a lot in the last few years. Since my drilling and driving tasks typically aren’t heavy-duty, I use a small lithium-ion cordless that’s far lighter. For those times when I need some real power, I jump up to one of my 18-volt drills or a corded. And for anything requiring vertical holes I bypass handheld drills and head straight to the drill press.

So that Makita has languished a bit in recent years, but I still grab it from time to time. I still love the way it feels in my hand and, don’t laugh, I love the way it sounds. And there’s more than a little nostalgia about it: I have older hand tools, but it’s the oldest power tool I own.

Well, it’s dead Jim. I went to use it the other day and nothing happened. Charging the battery didn’t help. Of course, it could still be the battery (the latest in a long line of replacements, but still old), so I’m holding out hope. They’re pricey, but you can still find new batteries online.

I’ve got this sinking feeling, though, that it’s not the battery, as I seem to recall it was fine the last time I picked it up. But if I get a new battery and it turns out it’s the drill that’s dead, that strikes me as something I’d just rather not know. Part of me wants to put it back in its familiar spot just the way it is, skip buying a new battery, and just consider it resting.

It’s certainly earned the right.

COMMENTS

1. Ed wrote:

Lay your tongue across the battery contacts. If you have to pick yourself off the floor; “it’s dead Jim”.

*Notice: don’t try this at home, kids. It is in jest.

2. Dave Hazetlon wrote:

Get the battery AJ. I would bet the motor and switch are still good and besides you owe it to this loyal companion.
    Dave

3. Greg Heuer wrote:

Yep, that’s one of my favorites too! Mine is still working and it’s the key chuck one which preceded the one pictured. I buy batteries from Amazon.

4. woodpuppy wrote:

I would create a wall of fame. Hang it on the wall of fame and one day it might be very valuable and enable you to buy any kind of drills you could imagine.

5. Howard Van Valzah wrote:

My son always tells me that substitution is the best diagnostic tool. Find a friend or neighbor with the some tool in operating condition and borrow a battery. Then you will immediately know where the problem lies.

6. Jim Harvey wrote:

You can find places on the internet that will rebuild battery packs. I have three I also have quite a collection of similar Makita tools that I bought at garage sales just to get the batterys.

If it really is dead, saw the handle off. You can make a dandy battery holder that can power up phones, radios, etc. Most electronic devices these days use switching power supplies and are not fussy about voltage as long as it’s within reason. Years ago I made a few contact caps to slip over those Makita batteries. One is currently in use on a lawn sprayer. I don’t remember the construction details, but it involved strips of brass, fiberglass, an O ring and a condom.

7. Paul Evans wrote:

A.J. : I have never owned a 6093D, But I used them in my career as a woodworker. You are right, they are really SUPER!
    I now own many cordless drills, and have rebuilt a couple. I have also replaced dead cells in the battery packs(I am cheap)
    Why not try to determine what is wrong. Do you have a multimeter that can measure the battery voltage? If the battery is OK, then open the drill case and trace the circuits(ohms) to determine what is not conducting.
    My guess is the switch. WORST CASE is the motor winding or brushes.
    I am a retired Electronic engineer and have always been able to repair my failed equipments.
    GOOD LUCK. If not repairable, just do what woodpuppy suggests. We all have items that we cherish. Mine is my first drafting tee square that hangs inmy office.

8. Chuck R wrote:

I loved that drill and I have several of the other Makita tools of that vintage, and have upgraded to a more modern battery that Makita offers or offered. But the drill itself, I upgraded to the current Makita model and I like it even better.

9. A.J. Hamler wrote:

Hurrah! It was indeed the battery that was DOA, not the drill. I found an older stick battery (probably the one that preceded the battery in the drill), and although it won’t hold a charge for more than a few minutes it did hold enough to prove that the drill is fine.

New lease on life for an old friend.