I took a shortcut yesterday in a project chapter for the book Iím doing. Rationally, the decision was a good one that introduced a whole new facet to the project. Irrationally, itís eating at me.
The details wouldnít mean much here, but hereís the Readerís Digest version: With time growing short I decided to change the focus of one of the projects from my original idea to a different one. Same project, same function, but the new version represents a different aspect of the same project that is actually more fitting for the book. Further, the resulting project actually turns out to be more unique than the usual, over-represented reproduction I had originally intended to include. That is, the reproduction I originally intended to do is fairly common, while the new one Ė though not really ďrareĒ in that sense of the word Ė fits better in the context of the overall theme of the book and the range of projects included.
If I had thought of it first, thereíd be no problem. But I didnít; I thought of the other one first. That really shouldnít matter, as this one is more fitting to the book, a better reproduction of the period to represent, and would give the reader a unique project to do. Whatís more, because the joinery is a bit simpler, itís an easier project. In reality, that makes it yet another plus for the book, as the skill level of much of the intended readership is in the beginner to intermediate range.
So to make a long story short, the resulting list of positives from making the change is impressive; Iíd consider myself a merry man if Iíd thought of doing it first. But I didnít, so itís eating at me.
In spite of all the benefits of going this new direction Ė including saving some time Ė I canít shake the nagging feeling that Iím taking an easier route just to save some time.
Till next time,